The last four days have been spent readjusting to life after vacation. :) Clark has sprouted two new teeth (one bottom and one top) so he has been pretty cranky. He also has a nasty cough. In between the cuddle sessions and tylenol doses, he's been reconnecting with his toys. He also tried on his souvenir: this "little shrimp" shirt:
I think it suits him. :)On Sunday, Clark woke up at 5:30am crying. I went upstairs and popped his paci and that held him off until 6:15am. I pulled on a sweatsuit and socks and went back upstairs to get him. On the way back down the steps, I slipped (I usually wear slippers with tread, not slippery socks) and fell on my back, while holding him. We knocked heads, which bent my glasses and gave us both a headache! I also bruised my elbow. :( It was more scary than anything though. I yelled for Josh to help because I couldn't get up, and then I ended up crying. Clark was crying too (probably to make me feel better haha). I ended up staying home from church with Clark because he had started coughing and his nose was really running. I spent the day catching up on laundry and sorting through our beach stuff. Clark took good naps and played happily with his toys! And today was the day we spotted his second bottom tooth poking through!
I woke up really sore on Monday, so I figured that was from falling on Sunday morning. Clark and I went to Grandma and Grandpa's house for lunch! YUM!! We had a wonderful time catching up! After lunch we came home and Clark decided not to take an afternoon nap. It was the weirdest thing!! I read that sometimes toddlers his age skip naps or their naps become irregular, but I didn't expect my sick 12-mo-old to go 8 hours without sleeping! Needless to say, I spent almost the entire afternoon (a good three hours) trying to get him to sleep/feeding him a bottle/rocking him/cuddling. It was exhausting! I was ready for a nap myself! By 4:30 Clark was REALLY tired and cranky. We held him off until 6pm and he fell right to sleep. I went to the church congregational meeting that night, which lasted until 9:30pm!
By Tuesday I could tell he was definitely sick. He woke up with his second bottom tooth poking through, red eyes, runny nose, and lots of coughing. He woke up at 5:45am and I tried to hold him off but he wouldn't fall back to sleep. I got him up, fed him breakfast, and by 7:00 he was sitting in the middle of his toys crying! So back to bed he went! He slept from 7-8am (I personally was hoping for longer...) then we started the day over again. There's nothing like a fresh start! :) We went to Aunt Kim's for lunch to see her new basement carpet. It's beautiful! We also "helped" her (I chased Clark around as Mom helped) move some of their office items into the basement closets. Their office is going to be the baby's room! Yay! Clark fell asleep on the way home:
Clark slept about an hour and a half then he was done with that. We played, went for a walk, and basically just killed time until Josh got home. He barely ate any dinner. This time we put him to bed at 6:30pm. And holding him off that long was torture! He was so tired! Poor guy. After he was in bed, I went to Walmart because we were running out of food!
Today Clark woke up bright and early again, 6am. He couldn't stop coughing! I figured he was hungry since he had hardly any dinner, then drank about 2 ounces or less before bed. I gave him a bottle and pretended like he was a newborn. He ended up falling back to sleep until 7:30! Yay! I had baking on the agenda for today so we started out by washing a ton of dishes (can't bake with full counters!! how embarrassing...). We had an early lunch because he woke up from his nap at 10:15 and we were both hungry by 11. I tried to put him down for a nap around 12:30 because he was so cranky. At 1:15 he fell asleep. At 1:45 a lawnmower woke him up!! Disappointing to say the least. I had a big batch of cookies going...I was counting on him sleeping at least an hour. Anyway, we survived. He was standing so cute in his crib when I got him:
After awhile, Aunt Kim came over and we took a long walk. It was so nice!! Clark showed off some of his new tricks: I'm trying to teach him to touch his nose. So far he touches his ear, then will touch my nose. We'll keep working on it! Also, he is climbing the stairs, although he needs to be spotted the whole time. He sometimes reverts back to leading with his feet (like when he scoots), so he falls backwards pretty often.
Right before Josh got home I was tickling Clark under the chin. He threw his head back and I realized he has a top tooth coming in!! No wonder he's so sad! Poor guy! His gums are all red at that spot.
Josh grilled again tonight for dinner. We had sweet Italian sausage and sauteed peppers and onions. It was delicious! I had made baked sweet potatoes especially for Clark (delicious little cubes of sweet potatoes). He promptly threw a couple on the floor. I force-fed him one. He threw up. YUCK! Then I gave in and he ate three bites of applesauce and five goldfish. Then he refused to eat anymore. I couldn't believe it!! Oh well, teething? Plus with all that coughing, who wants to eat?
We went for a walk after dinner to help stretch out Clark's bedtime. It worked! He made it to 7pm! Hopefully he will wake up later. I may give him milk in the morning again if he wakes up before 6am. Waking up before 6am is just so depressing!!
I hope you're all having a great week!
P.S. Congrats to one of my college roommates, Megumi, on the birth of her son, Jinn!!! He joins older sister, Hana. He was born on Memorial Day!!!




2 comments:
Haley went on a hunger strike last week and we realized she was teething. I think it must hurt them to eat or something. I am all for the 'bottle feed and pretend they're a newborn' when they get up too early! It totally works and it makes for a happier baby and mom!
It is common for babies not to eat when they are teething. (-: I liken it to having a cold sore. (-: Jay's other bottom tooth popped out today. I will have to check his top teeth to see if there's any action. Yay for Clark touching your nose. I think that story is so cute. Jay misses cousin Clark! He wants someone to crawl around with )-:
Post a Comment